Friday 21 March 2008

Spring Forward

Today is the Vernal Equinox. Not the best day for vampires, perhaps (because from now on the days are longer than the nights; less time to play) but I love it.

They say that hope springs eternal
Especially at the Equinox Vernal


I just made that up actually, but don’t worry – I’m not about to lapse into rhyming couplets in the Pantomime style I used earlier this year. So today is the first day of spring (in the Northern hemisphere at least) and it’s quite true – I feel a certain spring in my step. Only a couple of days ago I was feeling very sorry for myself indeed. I was having difficulty working out where this life was going – but now, even though I still don’t know where it’s going, I don’t care. Hurrah!

If you think about it, most good fiction is either based on the tradition of Bildungsroman – where there is a quest for self-development of some kind – or on a conquest against adversaries. The adversaries don’t have to be physical; they can be spiritual, emotional, even self-created. I suppose my life (as anyone’s) has been a mélange of both themes, and whereas I find it surprising in one respect that I haven’t yet been able to bring about the climax to either struggle, in another I think it’s completely understandable. All good films depict a journey; a labour – why should the story of my life be any different? You often hear people say ‘His life is a like a Hollywood movie’ which is usually a rather vacuous comment made without proper reason - but when examined with sufficient care, most people’s lives truly are. Mine is.

So, today we begin a new season and with it we cloak ourselves in a new fortitude. This can only be good. In view of that, it was fairly propitious that the sun was shining again today. The sun gives a welcome step-up to enthusiasm. I went out in the car this morning and put the hood down with the stereo blaring. Even though I was bloody freezing and the wind was blowing like old boots, it didn’t matter. On the first day of spring, it just had to be done. Later on, I might even open my balcony doors and play the jagged rhythms of Stravinsky. Very loudly. My neighbours will love me - as indeed, should everyone.

No comments: