Wednesday 11 June 2008

Don't Look Back!

I had a bit of a wake-up call the other night. I awoke at about 12:30 a.m. feeling exceedingly ill. I don’t know whether it was something I’d eaten, or just a strange bug that I’d picked up, but I got out of bed and for the next five hours I was subjected to horrible poisonous bile being forcibly projected from every orifice of my body. Every time I collapsed back into my sweat-soaked bed, I fell into a fevered delirium for a few moments before having to jump up again and rush once more for the bathroom. It was exhausting, painful and debilitating. By morning, although the vomiting etc. had ceased, I was so weak I could barely stand.

My friend Dharmachari Jinaraja, from the Buddhist Centre, came round and took me out for a slice of toast and a cup of tea. It took me half an hour to nibble away at the toast fearing, as to be expected, that it wouldn’t stay down for long. Luckily, it did – but I was so weakened by the effort that I had to come home and sleep for the next six hours. I finally felt sufficiently recovered to hold a book for long enough to read (just a couple of hours) and then managed to find enough energy to change my stained and tousled bedding before slumping down again. A fitful night of anxiety, hallucinations, restlessness and panic thereby followed, so that by this morning I was almost ready to stab myself.

However, I won’t do that. Instead, I aim to embark on a new programme of healthy endeavour and industrious pursuits. Yes, I know you’ve heard this before, but I’ve never felt this close to death before (except, perhaps, for the time when I was caught in a tornado off the mango swamps of Norfolk, or maybe the time when my car broke down, as night was falling, on the deserted barren road on the wrong side of Mount Teide in Tenerife), so I feel it’s now time for a re-appraisal of my life.

I’ve been so swamped recently by the things I have to do, that it has paralysed me into doing very little at all. So today, apart from attending to a few essential and urgent actions, I am going to write down all the tasks that are awaiting completion and then put them into an order of priority (in terms of importance versus urgency). Then I am going to draw up a timetable and allocate specific hours in the day for getting these tasks achieved. Understandably I do not see, in that timetable, great blocks being set aside for lounging around the Broadway – although there might be a chance for the odd ‘free period’ to appear. We’ll see.

Everything is impermanent and we haven't a moment to waste. Jinaraja told me yesterday that: "Your death is as certain as the man's who already has the knife thrust into his heart". A sobering thought indeed. So my friends, as ever, it is onwards and upwards. There’s nothing like being slain by a temporary illness for sharpening the mind and (strangely) for lifting the spirits. Tally ho!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dearest Richard, I wish to offer my services as your new life coach.

"But I don't need a life coach?"

WRONG!

I can maximise your potential!

If you truly want to be the best you, you can be, you need to unlock your true youness I can hyper-potentialise your positive goal rewards, leading to a bigger, better, faster future suffused with positive you-nergy

"sounds absolutely great but what is you-nergy?"

It's the powerful soul energy power uniquely held within YOU!

"How and when can I get more you-nergy?"

for just £400 a month ( in easy payments of £200 a week) I can truly unlock the personality potential locks, that have locked you in a cycle of lockedness for all of your miserable life - using our 108 step super-program "the ultra-super-master-key" (or USMK)

"OK this sounds perfect when can I start?"

Hang around the broadway for ages drinking lager and eventually recieve a free consultation.

You have the power!

You are stardust!

You are golden!

With my help you will get back to the garden!

Sam K

Richard Pilgrim said...

Why Sam, I didn't realize that your middle name was Carnegie! However, you forgot to attach the tear-off coupon saying: "Yes, please rush me my 'Guide to Better Living' by first-class post, my cheque is enclosed." Sadly, therefore, I have probably missed the deadline for the special offer - it was ever thus, always missing the boat when life-changing opportunities present themselves. Tant pis!

I think you may have too much time on your hands - I might have to inform Matron!

R x