Thursday 18 December 2008

I Wanna Go Home

God, what a night it was last night. Well, what a day in fact. I was rushing all over the place trying to get things done, but achieving very little. I did do one positive thing which was to have a meeting with Jennie Syson from the Hinterland project. She wants me to write something that is going to be projected onto the glass frontage of The Broadway during a month-long art installation on the theme of writing. This will be good for me because it will spur me into writing something new, and will push my name out on another project. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Then it was on to my mate Jim Shorthose's book launch. Loads of people were there and everyone was in an expansive mood. I got chatting to a remarkable young talented musician who later played me his recently recorded album. He's called Adam Clarkson and his band is Captain Dangerous – the music was fabulous; extremely in vogue but also very original. Adam has one of the best singing voices I've heard in a long time. You should look out for them because I think they're going to be big. Or bigger. I took a photograph of him sitting in my apartment so that I can sell it on eBay when he's famous.

After Jim's book launch, some of us went on to the launch party of the Nottingham Writers' Studio. As you know, I'm on the studio's Board and the party was to celebrate our move to newer and bigger premises. It was good to see some of Nottingham's best known writers there, and even better to note that most of them were drunk. Unfortunately, throughout the whole evening – the last part of which was spent at the Broadway, before the aforesaid musician and I retired to my apartment – I managed to consume more than my own body weight in alcohol, which doesn't make rushing for a train to Birmingham this afternoon very easy. I need a break from all of this, so I do. When's Christmas?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ah yes, I have such a lovely photo of you from that night tee hee! Thanks for your support Richard, you really are a gem. x