Thursday 5 February 2009

I Love My New Life!

I love my new life! The thing about working for a living is that it forces you to make much more productive use of the time when you're not working. Instead of languishing in indolence like I used to do for most of the day, I now write lists of tasks and make good use of the limited free time I have to ensure that they get done. It also means that I drink less and eat more (I have to have fuel to keep me going) and that is also a good thing.

Mind you, I didn't make it in to work today – I rose from my bed at the usual time (5:45 a.m.) and prepared myself for the day, only to discover that all roads to Northampton were impassable. I felt a bit feeble about calling in to say that I wasn't able to make it on only my third day on the contract, but I was told that nobody else was bothering to make the journey either, so I cheerfully got re-dressed and made a plan to spend the rest of the day ticking things off my task list. All useful stuff. I never knew that working for a living could feel so good.

There's some talk in the media about whether the BBC is making more of this Carol Thatcher incident than they should – some say that Ms Thatcher deserved only a ticking off (or, as they used to say in my day, a "rap over the knuckles") but that the BBC is punishing her for crimes committed by her mother. Hmm, well I don't know about that, but it would seem strange if that were the case - considering that the Corporation didn't sack Jonathan Ross over his offences, when he's perceived by the public to be a Blairite (or was) and when Blair was perceived by the public to have done much more damage to the BBC (Hutton Report) than Thatcher ever did. The BBC is claiming that this isn't a political decision, stating that it is a moral/ethical one, but I wonder?

I don't really care either way – Carol Thatcher probably doesn't need to work anyway, so she no doubt feels that she ought to be able to say what her old-fashioned British eccentric head feels like saying. And as for the BBC – well, who would trust an organization in which nearly all its junior producers and commissioning editors are the daughters of lieutenant-colonels (or similar) and who all probably attended the same boarding school too? Jolly hockey-sticks to the lot of them, that's what I say.


No comments: