Friday 30 November 2007

Happy Days

It’s my parents’ 61st Wedding Anniversary today. That’s them in the picture, on their wedding day. Last year, on the Diamond Anniversary, they were pleased to receive a hand-written (if brief) note from The Queen congratulating them on the occasion. I wonder if my parents remembered to return the gesture this year as I appear to have noticed a brief mention in the press that Her Madge & hubby celebrated a similar milestone this month.

I only managed to make it to a meagre 27 years – a mere blink of a cat’s eye in comparison, but still a lot longer than the standard marriage in Soapland. I love soap weddings (not that I watch TV of course, unless it’s the fabulously-acted and immaculately-written Hollyoaks). What always makes me laugh about soap weddings is the way that ordinary people, who usually demonstrate such poverty that they can barely afford a bottle of Lucozade from the Mini-Mart, can suddenly deck themselves out in the finest millinery and haute-couture when called upon to witness a pair of scallies getting hitched down at the local church/registry office/social security office. Incredible.

But more of this later – for now, I have to go. I need to check my bank account for secret donations. Hopefully, I’ll have received one.

No comments: