Monday 21 April 2008

The Quality of Friendship

Okay – I apologize for the error in a previous blog. My very good friend Fintan, who has an incisive brain on all matters of this kind, quickly pointed out that it was the Zombies, not the Animals, who did ‘She’s Not There’. I am respectfully humbled, m’lord.

This weekend has been rather odd. I met my new neighbours - two very attractive, feisty & intelligent (if slightly mad) girls who moved in a couple of weeks ago and who invited Fintan and me in for drinks on Saturday evening. Unfortunately, it all became a bit out of hand and so, after copious amounts of alcohol (very effective at removing the common-sense nodules from the brain), and even a cannabis lollipop (brought from Amsterdam by the ex-Mrs P and not effective at all – she woz robbed), we all collapsed. Somehow, the action had moved from my neighbour’s apartment back to mine, but I have no recollection of anyone leaving, just of waking up on the sofa at 3:00 a.m. surrounded by empty gin bottles and stains. Disgraceful behaviour yes, but fortunately counter-balanced by a day of restraint and artistic pursuit yesterday.

I went to see the film ‘Garage’ which is set in the (somewhat bleak) surroundings of rural Ireland. It’s an enchanting film on the theme of innocence and the loneliness of the human spirit. Dazzlingly photographed (the opening sequence is vaguely reminiscent of ‘Paris, Texas’), with exquisitely sparse dialogue, it’s a triumph of the understatement. Pat Shortt (I am told) is better known in Ireland as a comedy actor, but he skilfully discharged his duties as a serious actor with both the pathos and bewilderment required of him. Excellent – I urge you to see it soon.

Anyone who has ever been perplexed by the issues raised by the conflict in Northern Ireland (hopefully, now behind us, although not entirely resolved), should read Joseph O’Connor’s ‘Star of the Sea’ and Jamie O’Neill’s ‘At Swim Two Boys’. Of course, I would never condone the indiscriminate murder of innocent civilians at any time, and always held the view that both Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams were being disingenuous with their use of the truth, these two books evoke shame and humility in being English (which I am). I would reject utterly that I am in any way responsible for the atrocities carried out during the 800 years of English oppression of the Irish, but nevertheless I am less than proud of this heritage. Read the two books I have mentioned, and you’ll understand what I mean. All we can do now is hope for forgiveness and reconciliation.

Of course, whilst it’s equally unhelpful to generalise (if not in itself, racist too) I would say that most Irish people I have encountered are generous, charming, self-effacing, funny and above all fiercely intelligent. The fact that they can emerge in this way from a long and sordid history of vicious despair can only be a tribute to their spirit and integrity.

George Bernard Shaw (himself Irish) said: “Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” Good point, GBS.

No comments: