Tuesday 27 January 2009

Salon de Thé

My apartment has recently become a little bit like an eighteenth-century salon. I'm not objecting of course, because it is lovely to have visitors dropping by – invited or not – and it's a lot better than sitting here alone, going stir crazy and crawling up the walls. Last Friday I had a small soirée and served a paella of mammoth proportions to – amongst others – one of my two known Birthday Buddies (that's someone who has the same birthday as me). It was a charming evening that ended – if I remember – rather drunkenly.

On Saturday evening another friend of mine dropped by, and after I'd fed and watered him he sallied forth on a date, leaving me to wash up before reappearing – many hours later – with his said date in tow, so that they could avail themselves of my spare room. I was delighted to be of service and hope that I've facilitated the beginnings of a new and lasting relationship. On Sunday, after a few chaotic drinks in Edin's, Browne's and that stalwart of traditional pub life: The Peacock, I came home to entertain someone of my own choosing, and that was another evening that began with more food and drink and then ended in a haze of strange intimacy.

Then last night – well, late afternoon really – my little stray cat turned up, quite out of the blue. He had been kicking his heels and presumably rummaging in the bins of Broad Street, when the cold weather drove him to tap on my door. He came in for a saucer of milk and other such feline treats and stayed for several hours before miaowing to be let out, and thus disappeared into the night once more.

Now today, I must keep all visitors at bay. I have so much paperwork to catch up on, and really need to get my VAT return in the post to Her Majesty, who will be waiting for it. I also have a script to finish, as well as preparing for my participation in Broadway's Reading Room event which begins at the end of this week (click here) . So, nose to the grindstone again.

Hmm, I wonder if there's time to pop out for a quick coffee somewhere? Who knows, I might just bump into someone I know....

No comments: