Thursday 1 January 2009

What's New?

Well - by text, email, phone and of course, Facebook, I've had the usual plethora of messages wishing me a Happy New Year and declaring that 2009 is going to be a lot better than 2008. Notwithstanding my stated position on this matter (viz. previous posting), I actually agree with these well-wishers. Don't get me wrong – I'm not of the opinion that it's because we're in a different year (what is a year?) that things will get better, but I believe that things will definitely get better from whatever point we start. You will aready know that I am not a subscriber to the theory of ruin that those pesky economic journalists keep stuffing down our throats. So, because of this, I am continuing with my optimistic demeanour and therefore looking forward to the weeks and months to come with great cheer.

Today is January 1st which means that I, like most people, should be nursing a great big fat malevolent hangover. But no, dear reader, I have spent today quite clear-headed and as bouncy as that loveable old feline, Tigger. I decided to eschew the various invitations to enlist in the normal revelry of the masses last night and instead, stayed at home with a bottle of vodka and a re-run of Anne Reid's remarkable interpretation of the life and personality of Dame Barbara Cartland on TV. Yes okay, I hear you calling for the pipe & slippers, I know - but it gave me an essential breather in this manic life of mine and afforded me a time to reflect on the joys & pleasures of my life for which I can be so grateful.

So, the message I have for you all is this: Please do not worry – life is good. The future is a Christmas Cracker of joyous wonder; it is a serendipity of providence; it is all so, so magnificent. But be assured that this spirit of elation has nothing whatsoever to do with this rather haphazard Gregorian calendar to which we so pathetically cling. No, it is because of the indominatble spirit of the human psyche - the spirit that has danced and cavorted throughout the realms of time since before the 'calendar' was invented - that I rejoice. Rejoice.

No comments: