Sunday 29 March 2009

Wendies Forever!

Well, this is good. I was so happy driving home on Friday evening – mainly because it was Friday, of course – but also because I was scheduled to go to watch some friends of mine perform in their band at Nottingham's 'Hotel Deux' (a splendid venue). I really like live music in most forms, and this was the first time I'd ever seen The Wendies play (except for an impromptu sing-along when I was off my face at James's stag do in Flagg, but that was years ago). Anyway, after a couple of very sociable drinks in one of Broad Street's better quality hostelries, we set off. What a fabulous evening it was, too! The Wendies (see picture above) were excellent – they play acoustic, with Bob and Paylor thumping out some stomping guitar, whilst James (in the somewhat manic disguise of a mildly deranged nevrotico) belted out the vocals with great verve. Their renditions of 'I Will Survive' (the Cake version that is, not Gloria Gaynor's) and Love's 'Alone Again' from the Forever Changes album, were just perfect. Well done, lads.

I've spent the remainder of the weekend dashing backwards and forwards meeting up with friends and entertaining people here in my apartment. I had intended to write this blog yesterday morning, but there simply hasn't been time. Today I've been to my sister's house for lunch because it is my father's birthday and so we had a lovely big family gathering. My first ever great-nephew (and my father's first great-grandchild), Albert, was there - just seven weeks old. I don't usually like babies, but little Albert is one of the best and he has an absolutely adorable face. Very well-behaved, too.

I now have to think about more serious matters. I read today that more veterans of the Falklands War have since committed suicide than were actually killed in the war. This extraordinary revelation comes after a recent spate of suicides within the British forces currently serving in Iraq. Three young men have shot themselves (apparently) in as many months, whilst on a tour of duty in Basra. Considering that Basra is one of the relatively peaceful areas of the occupation, this news is even more tragic. Three young, hopeful lives have been extinguished in as many months – these guys are serving their country and yet it seems there is little support for them in dealing with post traumatic stress disorder. The most recent suicide was of a 21-year old; it's heartbreaking. The army simply doesn't have enough resources to tackle the problem (i.e. not enough cash), and these boys are being left to fend for themselves. I don't know how much it would cost to provide better support for these youngsters, but I bet it's a lot less than the £1.4 trillion that Gordon is planning to spend on rescuing the bankers from the trauma of having to go without their champagne and lobster suppers. It's nothing short of disgraceful.


No comments: