Monday 20 April 2009

Chéri

I've had a really delightful evening. I was invited to attend the preview showing of Stephen Frears's latest film 'Chéri' which is based on Colette's famous novel of the same name. The film won't actually be released in this country until later this month but you should see it when it is. It's directed by Frears from a screenplay written by Christopher Hampton – they were the pair that did 'Dangerous Liaisons' together about twenty years ago. This is another period drama set in France – this time in 'La Belle Époch' and again it stars Michelle Pfeiffer.

The photography is absolutely gorgeous, and the set design is sumptuous beyond belief. Everyone in the film is beautiful, fashionable, drunk, mad or ugly – and some characters are just plain silly, but it's exactly the sort of film one should see on a Monday evening after a horrid day at work. Definitely a feel-good film and yet (as you would expect from Colette) there is a shadowy underbelly to this poignant and ultimately tragic tale. Pfeiffer is surprisingly good, as indeed is the whole cast – Rupert Friend who plays Chéri does so without an ounce of self-pity and of course, looks gorgeous as he does so. Well done.

I attended the private knees-up beforehand where Nottingham's film hoi-polloi were tucking into the free booze and food. Both writer (Hampton) and director (Frears) were at the party which is a real feather in the cap for the Broadway, which organized the event as part of its International Film Writers' Festival (however, the two said luminaries didn't talk to me, of course). In the cinema though, I sat in the VIP seats which I think is the first time I've ever been so privileged. Ooh, missus. As I struggled with the vagaries of the motorway on my way home this afternoon, I almost had a heavy heart about going along tonight – I so wanted to come home to an early dinner and a good book – but I'm so glad that I went to this event after all. It has lifted my spirits and has made me feel better about the world. Yay! That can't be bad.

So, we're moving on....

No comments: