Tuesday 25 May 2010

The Tempeance Society and The Theatre

Well, where to begin? You will notice that I've been a bit absent in recent days. It's been such a mad dramatic time this past week - all sorts of upheavals and turmoil (much more than usual). The 'positive thinking' that I eschewed so enthusiastically in my last posting didn't quite hold up, not entirely anyway. And yes - before you say anything - I know, I know, positive thinking should engender more positive thinking and if I have allowed any negative thoughts to cloud my demeanour, then it's my fault. Of course it is, it's always my fault, but sometimes things take a turn in such a way that it becomes difficult to defend oneself against the Black Dog.

True, there have been some fun times in the last week. My lovely daughters were both in the country at the same time and we had some jolly canters around the fleshpots of Nottingham I can tell you, and some warm and loving contact too. I'm not complaining about that, because that was the high point of the week, yes indeed. Of course, we ate too much and we drank too much (more of that later), but we also enjoyed some of the best summer sunshine that we've had this year and I was able to do plenty of cruising around with the hood down on the car. The visit of the daughters was all too short, unfortunately, and before too long I was left alone again as they soared off into the skies, ready for their next adventures.

And alone I am - and it's never been more painful than it is now. However, for once I have recognized what it is that is contributing to this fact. It's alcohol. Yes, alcohol (I have discovered) isolates me from a real understanding of life and this in turn causes me to be isolated from real life itself. On Sunday, I lost touch with all reality to a point where I failed to maintain good relations with anyone around me, and consequently caused myself some clear problems with a number of people. This was not good, oh no.

So, I have given it up. Yes, I have stopped drinking alcohol completely. I'm on Day Two at the moment, and it's very tough, I can tell you. Having a cup of tea while I was preparing dinner wasn't nearly as much fun as sipping on the usual large glass of Rioja, but at least the dinner was prepared correctly. And reading in bed last night with a glass of water instead of the usual three fingers of Bushmills wasn't so gorgeously relaxing, but at least I could focus on the words in the book. So, hurrah for temperance! I can't imagine what life without alcohol is going to be like (and to be honest, it frightens me), but I'm expecting (hoping) that it's going to be a life of improved Quality. And Quality of Life is what we all seek, n'est-ce pas?

And now, for some good news! Our Stageplay Festival is fast approaching! Rehearsals are going well and in just a little over two short weeks, the Festival will be upon us! More details can be had by clicking here, and if that excites you, then tickets for all of the shows can be purchased here. Come on, Nottingham has never seen anything like this before - so give it a go!

Ooh, I suddenly feel that the positive thinking is returning..... hurrah!


No comments: