Monday 15 November 2010

Rise Up! Rise Up!

Amidst a week of turmoil and despair, there comes some hope. Protestors against the increase in student tuition fees in England rose up last week and caused violence. This is (despite violence being something that one should always condemn) both a good thing, and a bad thing. It is a good thing because it illustrates that the British character is not quite as lily-livered as our French counterparts would have us believe, but it is also a bad thing because by rioting, the students have inadvertently exposed the manipulative nature of our evil government. You might argue that this too is a good thing, but my point is that when such violence erupts, it becomes all too easy to distract attention away from the real cause of the disquiet. I suspect that the attack on Conservative HQ was tolerated (perhaps even encouraged) by the authorities because it meant that any outrage was then directed at the mob, rather than at the government's disgraceful policies. So, it is my view that last week's incident was actually welcomed by the government (who deliberately under-policed the event) because the sure way to silence people who are saying something you don't like, is to put them in the wrong.

But enough of politics. What of other matters that have graced the previous week? I had a delightful visit from my daughter Sophie and her two lovely friends. The city of Nottingham displayed its magnificent charms to the visitors - charms that included a performance from one of our best bands (Long Dead Signal); an exhibition of contemporary art as part of the British Art Show at both the Gallery and at Nottingham Castle; a bizarre tribute to Rolf Harris who popped into the Davenport Shop of Originality to pose for photographs with a group of didgeridoo players; plus shopping, eating and drinking galore. We had a marvellous time - but as ever, it was all over too quickly and my visitors have now returned to their respective countries, leaving me to ponder my dismal future, alone again. I have been looking this morning at my 'list of things to do' and it is as long and as daunting as ever. Priority number one is to find some work because since taking a couple of months off to deal with my late father's estate, I have had no income at all, and unfortunately more than the usual amount of expenditure. As Mr Micawber was always so fond of telling us, this does not create a good balance for remaining solvent.

And what of affairs of the heart? Ha! That's a laugh - I think my days of romance are long over. This is a shame because I do try to take care of myself, and friends tell me that I'm still reasonably well-preserved; that I dress well; and that I'm a lively and interesting person with a caring heart. My friends tell me that I would make quite a good 'catch' for someone. Hmm, be that as it may, I still don't seem to be able to make a connection with the right people. I don't suppose there's anything wrong in being single - in fact, up until very recently I was always declaring that the single status is exactly what I prefer - but I do sometimes miss the easy comfort of always having someone around to share life's pleasures with. I guess I feel a little bit as if I'm being left behind. Most people I know are in relationships; even my ex-wife has moved on and is planning to set up home with her new partner. Also, up until only one year ago I still had two parents - and now I am orphaned. I do feel a certain sense of abandonment about my current life, and wonder what will become of me? Of course, all this leads me to conclude that more than ever before, it is now time for a change. Change is good - apparently, the universe has to move things out to allow the better and more wonderful things to appear. We are told not to resist change because change means that something even better is coming through. This is most encouraging - and most welcome too!

So, maybe I need to launch a riot on my own life? Smash a few of the windows that look into my comfort zone; tear down the trappings and hangings of my current defensive thought? Why yes, as I've already said in this posting - sometimes, violence can be good; sometimes it is necessary to bring about a change. Watch out, gentle reader - I am about to get angry with myself!



No comments: