Friday 1 June 2007

Shame

The last time I was in Madrid, I went to a bullfight. Many of you will be alarmed or disappointed by this. I am alarmed and disappointed by it myself. I made the mistake of deciding that - although I disapprove of bullfighting - I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. This is very weak justification; I suppose it's a bit like saying I disapprove of mugging old ladies but I'll do it once, just because I've never done it before. However, I went along to the Plaza de Toros not knowing what to expect.

I was completely wrong to go. By paying money to these people I was giving them licence to perpetrate their barbaric activities. The whole event was pointless, cruel and boring. I think the Spanish call it sport, but that's not what I would call it. The bull stands absolutely no chance and is taunted, deliberately confused, dazed, exasperated, worn down, tortured with pikes spikes and swords and finally, killed. If he's lucky, he'll be put out of his misery with a single blow from the matador's sword; if he's not, he'll linger on in even more pain while the incompetent and cowardly matador has another go. After he's dead, his carcass is dragged from the arena by horses and then these jolly lads bring on another bull for exactly the same treatment. Then another… then another…. until the afternoon is over. Pointless, or what?

I have contributed to this carnage and I'm not proud of it.

The only (slightly) encouraging aspect to the afternoon's events was that there were very few young Spanish people in the crowd. The arena was only half full anyway, hopefully indicating that the popularity of this cruelty is diminishing, but the majority of the Spaniards there were elderly men, toothless and flat-capped and accompanied by their (mainly) fat wives. They'll all be dead soon.

The discouraging aspect of the afternoon was that the remainder of the 'audience' was made up of tourists, like me. All no doubt convincing themselves that they were only there 'for research purposes'. This is a pathetic excuse and if we all stopped going, the whole industry would thankfully collapse in time.

Hemingway has a lot to answer for if you ask me.

No comments: