Tuesday 5 June 2007

Row, row, row the boat!

I once rowed across the channel for charity. It was part of a scheme to help boost the efforts of the charity Turning Point which supports social care programmes for young people with drug and alcohol related problems. The initiative was to take one of four challenges from specific sports – running, cycling, rowing or climbing. The big names of the time in each of the various sports lent their support to it all - I can't remember which personality was connected with the rowing aspect, but I think it might have been Steven Redgrave.

The idea was to select a challenge that represented a certain distance (e.g. rowing the length of the River Thames, climbing Snowdon, running a marathon etc.) and to raise sponsorship. The trick was that it was all supposed to happen using gym-based equipment only and had to be verified by a qualified instructor. I was super fit in those days and regularly used the rowing machine in my local gym, so I thought I'd opt for rowing across the English Channel. I chose to go from Newhaven to Dieppe (a distance of 63 miles) and drew myself one of those progress meter maps with the route marked out; colouring it in as I went.

It took me six weeks. Half way through, I had a half-page spread in the Nottingham Evening Post (complete with photo of me pulling away in my rowing shorts), and even a mention in The Times. It was great fun and I raised a lot of money for the charity; even the Mayor of Erewash sponsored me! And I was even fitter when I'd finished.

I was reminded of this today when Turning Point was in the news calling for more attention to be given to the problems of 'older people' who drink too much at home. As I stared at the empty whisky bottle on my table, it got me thinking. Hmm.

No comments: