Monday 3 November 2008

I Need A Holiday

Oh dear, quite a bit of turmoil since I last wrote (hence the gap). My last report, dear diary, concerned the excellent evening's entertainment at the burlesque night in Escucha. The following evening saw us attending the launch party for GameCityThree (now finished - see http://gamecity.org/ ) which was an extraordinary affair. The most generous organizers had laid on a free bar which was welcome – although possibly dangerous – and I met some remarkable people. I fell into conversation with a chap who seemed to have a theory that we could create a black hole without any of the expense or fuss of The Machine. If his theory works, we could be in trouble.

Thursday night was meant to be quietly spent at home but instead, we were trapped in Shaw's (we never go into Edin's anymore – not since I was grossly insulted by one of the bar staff, whose customer-facing skills could do with an improvement) and I didn't get home until very late, making Friday's various meetings a little shaky. I spent the whole day rushing backwards and forwards getting the final arrangements into place for the Studio's move on Saturday. It was hectic and fractious and left me feeling drained of energy. I hardly wanted to get dressed up for Danse Macabre's private viewing that evening at 'View From The Top Gallery', but Sarah persuaded me that it would be worth it and came over to help me get ready. I ended up looking like a cross between a pantomime dame and a freak show (see picture), but we nevertheless went along. Again, the generous organizers had provided a free bar which we carefully utilized whilst viewing the absolutely stunning exhibition of art & design. The work – from a variety of different visual artists – was of the very highest quality. We moved on afterwards to the Broadway's 'Mayhem' Festival (mayhem indeed) before ending up for a riotous night of excess and abandonment in Shaw's.

Saturday (with thick head) was spent racing from one meeting to another, partly trying to get the City Council on board for 'The Building', and partly trying to get the various architects and clients to iron out what they want (it all came right in the end), as well as supervising the office move for the Studio (I was excused for the large part from carrying boxes and furniture because I had done all the organizing). That all came right in the end too. The Studio has now moved to spanking new premises in the heart of Nottingham's Lace Market and a bright and exciting future is ahead of us.

The remainder of the weekend was spent in an alcoholic haze (although I did go sailing) and trying to keep my Stray Cat #2 supplied with liquid refreshment. We met up with our Finnish friends who seem to be able to drink anyone under the table (certainly me) and the party just rolled on and on. My apartment looks like a bomb has hit it and frankly, I can't be bothered to tidy it up at all. In fact, right now would be exactly the time to create the black hole – now, what was that chap's name....?

No comments: