Wednesday 11 July 2007

Drinking Again

Blurgh. I got well hammered last night at the Broadway following a photo shoot in Market Square to promote the Creative Business Awards. It was a great opportunity to hook up with a whole load of people, many of whom I already know, but many new faces too. I particularly enjoyed talking to the musicians and artists there because we writers can tend to be a bit partisan sometimes. I met some very interesting characters and it's just amazing that Nottingham has such a wealth of creative talent in its bosom. However, I ended up drinking too much which was a shame because I'd been very healthy up to that point – I have a gym and a pool in my apartment building and I'd used both earlier in the day and had been feeling very virtuous. Then I went and spoiled it all.

I'm having a real problem with flies at the moment. I don't know why they're called houseflies because they shouldn't live in houses. They irritate me but I can't kill them (it's not a very Buddhist thing to do). If I open my balcony doors they drift in and mosey around for a bit before leaving; but some stay. Nothing I can say to them will convince them to leave so I then spend ages shooing them back out, gently. It's quite a chore. There's one here now that I'm tempted to kill, but I won't. It seems a strange existence, to buzz around close to the ceiling not in a circle, but in a sort of square circuit making hand-brake turns before changing direction. Why do they do it?

I'm having lunch with my parents today – my mother called me yesterday to remind me that I'd promised to visit them but I had completely forgotten to do that, or even that I'd said I would. My memory is getting worse.

However, I won't forget to go to my Buddhist class tonight. It's the one rock in my rather turbulent life right now. I'm getting there.

1 comment:

Sophie Pilgrim said...

Ha ha, at least Jet understands my obsession with flies now. Very commendable that you abstain from killing them. I like to use those sticky contraptions that they are attracted to so that I can watch them die (it takes hours) and then count them up in the morning.