Friday 6 July 2007

Excuses, excuses

The good news is that I started to work on my novel again. It's been so long since I started this one that I probably ought to scrap it and start something else. But no, for I love this one and many people have told me that it's almost right (note, almost) that I feel sure it's worth picking it up again. I'm in the middle of a two-month 'sabbatical' (i.e. I have no work) and I really should be using the time constructively. Instead, I've been holidaying, drinking, blogging(!) and cleaning my flat (which still, strangely, looks like a tip). At least all my washing and ironing is done.

It's really horrible how sometimes we can find any excuse at all not to sit down and begin writing. Oh, it's time to start writing – but no, the windows need cleaning; oh, it's time to start writing – but no, I should wash my hair…. I know it's naughty.

Anyway, I now need some legal advice. My protagonist – to my surprise – has been accused (wrongly) of murder and is in custody. And I don't have the faintest idea how to get him out. How do these things get resolved? This isn't a crime thriller, and I don't actually know very much about the law or police proceedings at all, so I wonder just how I'm going to get him released. He can't languish in jail for the remainder of the novel – he has one or two people to shag first. Oh dear, whatever shall I do?

I'm about to go away yachting for the weekend. I'm not sure where we'll be heading but the boat's in Plymouth and we'll most probably just beat our way down to Fowey which takes about eight hours. We'll hitch to a mooring in the creek, near to Daphne du Maurier's old house, and go ashore for dinner. I love sleeping afloat, tucked into my little cabin. The rise and fall of the boat; the whack of the water as it slaps against the hull; the wind in the rigging. I won't even need the usual tumbler of whisky to get me to sleep!

I'll have the full report on Monday. Who knows, I may even get the inspiration for my get-out-of-jail card.

2 comments:

Ms A said...

I'm so glad you're writing again. Despite all the distractions, you've managed to get the main character in jail. Well done!

I don't know very much about police procedures, but I know a man who does :) Saying that, I've seen The Bill and read plenty of crime fiction. Usually, there, where they want to have someone in custody and conveniently release them, they bring him (usually it's man) in for questioning and keep him for as long as they can without charge, but then have to let him go for lack of evidence. Might that work for your character?

Have fun on your trip.

Richard Pilgrim said...

Thanks for the advice, Shots. I think that's the way to go for my Danny-boy :)

See you soon!