Sunday 15 July 2007

A New Era

For the first time in many many years, I am boatless. Yesterday I sold Purple Turtle, almost by accident in a way. It's true that I feel a bit sad about this, but I also feel strangely liberated. Purple Turtle is a lovely fast racing dinghy (National 12 Class) but you see - I hardly ever sailed her. I've owned this boat since May 2006 but in all that time, I've only sailed her on a handful of occasions. My previous boats used to get frequently sailed by me, but these days my sailing tends to be in the form of crewing for another guy in his Merlin Rocket; I rarely take the helm myself anymore. So, why do I need a boat of my own? Many people have said to me in recent months: Either sail her, or sell her – and they're right, of course.

I realized that to keep an expensive boat for the sake of it, is just another manifestation of my ego trying to take control. It gave me a nice warm feeling to own that boat; it made me part of the 'gang'; I belonged. This is all bullshit, of course; just the ego talking. Still I was reluctant to dispose of her – still I clung to the false belief that she was necessary to form part of the statement about me, Richard Pilgrim. Then I read in this quarter's Newsletter from the Class Chairman that there is a shortage of available second-hand boats and that if anyone has a boat that they're not using, then they should consider selling it so that other people could enjoy the benefits. After all, a boat is built to get wet – not to sit gathering dust just to satisfy an old man's craving to 'belong'. So when someone contacted me who had heard that I don't use her very much, and who seemed very keen to buy her, I agreed to let him take a look. Even when he was carrying out his inspection, I still didn't believe it was really going to happen - until suddenly I found myself shaking hands with this man, and Purple Turtle was no longer mine. It had all happened so quickly.

Yes, I feel a bit sad about this - but at the same time I have made two very positive moves. Firstly I have said "Down, boy" to the ever-jostling, insidious ego (which is always a good thing to do); and secondly I have acted in an almost altruistic way by allowing the boat to be used and enjoyed in the way she was designed to be. Hopefully, I have made Purple Turtle (and the man who bought her) a bit happier.

So this morning, I feel good. Boatless, but good. Even the seemingly rather mundane act of selling a boat can have a higher meaning, perhaps.

No comments: