Tuesday 7 October 2008

Pete & his Tong

The Hockley Hustle went well, I think (I've only just recovered). It's an all-day and all-evening festival of music and creative arts spread across thirteen of the best venues in Hockley (which is the small epicentre of creativity in Nottingham, and is where I live) and there were more than 120 different acts performing. There were some diverse performances – from bands like Mint Ive and Mourning Becomes Electra down at the Bunker's Hill; to Sam Kirk and his ukulele playing in Lee Rosy's; the Victorians had a set at Broadway,; You Slut! and Wasp Display were playing at The Social – the list just went on and on. It was all for charity too, so it was a great day out and all in a good cause. Unfortunately, I inadvertently consumed too much alcohol, which was a most unwise thing to do on a school night (it was Sunday), and some of the later performances were therefore missed and yesterday's 'Monday Morning Blues' were a deeper shade of aquamarine than usual.

However, one act that I didn't miss on Sunday was Pete Clark (Broadway Box Office) playing a most extraordinary instrument called a Tong Drum. I've never seen one before – it looks like a hastily put together wooden box with a few slats along the top. About the size of a large shoebox, it's absolutely nothing to look at – and before Pete began, nobody believed that anything impressive could possibly emerge from such a strange little contraption. Not so, for as soon as he started to stroke the slats with his soft-headed drumsticks, we were immediately mesmerized by the most amazing percussion sound I've ever heard. Pete has been hiding his Tong under a bushel and now that we've all seen it, and heard what it can do, he'll be in demand for everyone's gigs and parties for months to come. Well done, Pete.

And now, I have to get some work done. I've a list of tasks as long as my arm and none of them will tick themselves off without help, so I had better get cracking. In the midst of all this, I'm still battling with the continuing saga of my bathroom... but that's all become a bit of a bore now so I'll spare you the details.

Back soon.


No comments: