Sunday 12 October 2008

To Be A Pilgrim

This has been both a good week and a bad week. Good, because there have been lots of exciting developments in respect of 'The Building' – which is fast becoming a hot topic of interest within Nottingham's creative network and beyond – but bad because some of my own personal behaviour has been markedly unskilful. Unskilful conduct is one of the scourges of any effort towards achieving a Buddhist way of life (presuming, of course, that this is what I am trying to achieve). Some of my actions this week have been so reprehensible that it's hardly surprising that the karma is swiftly returning in the form of some hard slaps around the face. Details of these actions are not suitable for revealing in a family show such as this, so I won't elaborate – but suffice it to say, I only have my stupid self to blame. I have not been good.

Today is Sunday 12th October and the sun is shining in an eggshell-blue sky. I ought to have been up early and perhaps have sallied forth into the breeze of the morning and taken in some exercise. I ought to have cleaned my flat, or done my ironing, or written some words, or learned some Spanish – but instead, I have been moping around my apartment staring out of the streaked windows (which I ought to have cleaned), drinking milk. The reason for this languid state of affairs is because I drank too much alcohol yesterday. What started as a sensible cup of tea in Lee Rosy's, soon rolled into a hogshead of wine and a cask of beer in several of our local hostelries. We did at least manage to eat something in a Greek restaurant (the one which we didn't think existed), but apart from that the day was convincingly unwholesome.

Tomorrow is Monday 13th October. I shall call it 'Skilful Monday' and if I catch myself doing anything in the slightest that doesn't adhere to that premise, I shall ask someone to give me what the Spanish call a bofetada (as distinct from a palmada) which is a strong slap in the face. Form an orderly queue, please.

No comments: