Monday 14 May 2007

Party Time


Yesterday's sailing exploits reminded me of my Great Aunt Frederica. The last thing she ever did was to hurl herself over Niagara Falls in a barrel. I'm not sure what the barrel contained before it housed Great Aunt Fred, but neither it (nor her body) was ever seen again. This was in 1927 I think, maybe 1928. It was before my time anyway.

However, I remember that we held a great party on the fiftieth anniversary of the great event. This was in 1981 and it was on the same day that Prince Charles married Diana – we just discreetly added a few tables onto the end of the row that had already been set up for a street party, and someone else from the street provided the food. My family was good at that sort of thing - getting away without paying. We drank a toast to Frederica and all sang our own version of "Kiss" (which was the song Marilyn Monroe sang in the 1953 film 'Niagara'), and we pretended that the other 200 people at the table were joining in. How we laughed; it was a great day.

It's only a few years until we celebrate the centenary of the event in 2013. Can't wait. Mind you, if neither Wills nor Harry gets hitched in the same year, we might end up having to pay for our own food this time. Not so good.

No comments: